Thursday, March 6, 2014

Tips For Packing Healthy Snacks

I have wanted to write about this for a while now, so here we go. 
The key to packing healthy snacks without packing processed food, is preparation and good efficient containers. I found these containers made by Seistema and I LOVE them. They make it super easy to pack healthy snacks. They are BPA free, and I know the verdict is still out on weather BPA free plastic is even that much better than the kind laced with BPA, but I have yet to find a stainless one that works as well as this. Plus, I never heat this up in the microwave (we actually don't have a microwave even) and I really try not to put this in the dishwasher. 

Here is a link if you want to buy these awesome little containers. 

I typically do prep for the snacks/lunch a couple times a week. This week I made some "Lara" snack bars and boiled about a dozen pastured eggs ( add baking soda and salt to the water to make them peel easily)
I also like to cut up a bunch of various veggies and store them in glass containers in the fridge. Another quick tip, boil a pot of water on the stove and pop the cut up veggies in for a minute, the day you will be using them. I find the kids have an easier time eating the raw veggies if I do this. Be sure to flash them with ice cold water immediately after cooking to prevent them from cooking any more.   I usually pack something to dip the veggies in, guacamole is a fan favorite, but they also love hummus, and tzatziki. 


Today we are having carrot sticks, broccoli, sugar snap peas, celery and a boiled pastured egg


On the other side I have homemade snack bars, macadamia nuts, raisins, and plantain chips




No comments:

Post a Comment