Sunday, March 2, 2014

Grain Free Lasagna



I'm so excited to share this recipe. I have been brainstorming this recipe for a while now...ever since I made my grain free tortillas. 
This is not just eh..."good for a grain free recipe".  This is just a GOOD recipe!  My husband was a little horrified when I told him I was making this for dinner. His skepticism quickly turned into enthusiasm after the first bite. 

If you had told me 1.5 years ago, when I first started dabbling in grain free recipes, that eating this way could be enjoyable...I would have said you were a liar!

I honestly love eating this way. My youngest is intolerant of most grains for the most part, so he has to eat this way. I think it's awesome that the whole family is now eating this way and supporting him. It has also made me become much more creative in the kitchen. 

Hope you enjoy this as much as we did.

Grain Free Lasagna

Ingredients:

About 10-12 (8 inch) grain free tortillas
Find the recipe HERE

1 lb organic grass fed ground beef

1 medium onion (chopped)

1 cup mushrooms (chopped)

2 cloves garlic (chopped)

1 jar of organic tomato sauce (I used a basil marinara)

Dash of fresh grated nutmeg

Pink sea salt and pepper to taste

Oregano or Italian seasoning

1 12 oz container of whole milk ricotta cheese

2 eggs

About 2 cups of grated mozzarella

1 cup fresh grated Parmesan 

-About a cup of chicken stock for deglazing pan

* I also used about half a package of smoked mozzarella cheese (sliced) from trader joes


Instructions:

-Make the "lasagna noodles"  Recipe 


-Heat large pan to medium heat with some grapeseed oil to coat

-Sauté onions about 3 min (add a splash of chicken stock or water to deglaze the pan, and keep the onions from buring and sticking)

-Add chopped mushrooms and cook another 5 min or so

-Next add the garlic, nutmeg, salt and pepper

-Sauté another 5 min or so, until all ingredients soften and brown (scraping and deglazing pan with chicken stock or water as needed)

-Brown the ground beef right in the same pan as the onions and mushrooms. Deglaze with chicken stock as needed

-Add jar of sauce and simmer on low (I like to simmer mine about a 1/2 hour)

-Lightly beat 2 eggs, add ricotta, salt and pepper to taste and a sprinkle of oregano or Italian seasoning.  (set aside)

-Start layering your lasagna in a 13x9 baking dish. 

-Start with a layer of sauce mixture, then three "noodles", then meat mixture again, then ricotta, then cheese mixture, noodles, meat, ricotta, cheese mixture...repeat. 



-End with sauce, then shredded cheese

-Cover with foil and place in a 350 degree oven for about 45 min

-The last few minutes of cooking, remove foil and broil until cheese is brown and bubbly. 


-Let cool 5-10 min before serving

ENJOY!!! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment