Monday, December 3, 2012

Homemade Baby Wash

I started making my own baby wash a few months ago. Around the time I started cloth diapering I started researching all the things that we put on baby's delicate skin. It's gross! I forget where I read it now, but I read that we actually absorb more chemicals through our skin, than we do by eating contaminated food. Think about it, your skin is the largest organ in your body. Then add to it, that baby's skin is much more sensitive, thinner, and delicate, and why in the world would we want to put harmful chemicals and diapers loaded with toxic ingredients up against their skin all day.

Here is a great website I found with some really important information on what products are safe for our kids. This women has done an amazing job of compiling all this research!
http://safemama.com/cheatsheets/

I'm slowly going through the process of replacing our "old" products with new healthier ones. Not just for the kids, but for my husband and I as well. As soon as I learned there is formaldehyde pretty much in everything, including many popular brands of baby wash, I was sold. That can't be good....right!!!!

So not only is this baby wash good for baby's skin, it's super easy to make too. There is initially a little prep, but after that, it's all downhill.

Ingredient's:

1 bar of Dr. Bronner's Magical Soap
Hemp Lavender sent

1 bar of Dr. Bronner's Magical Soap
Baby Mild sent

Here is a link to Dr. Bronner's stuff:
http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/SFNT.htm

Tea tree oil

Almost boiling water

1. Prep:

This may sound funny, but you are going to actually shred the soap with a cheese grater to make soap flakes. Each bar of soap is roughly $4.00 and you get so much use out of it, it puts the baby wash you can buy to shame.  These soaps are made out of Castile soap, olive oil, coconut, oil, Jajoba oil, and that's about it.
I store my soap flakes for future use.

2. Heat Water 
Bring the water close to a boil in a tea kettle or pot.

3. In a large glass measuring cup, add
1/3 cup of the Baby Mild soap flakes and 1 TBS of the Hemp Lavender soap flakes

4. Add 3-5 drops of Tea Tree Oil

5. Fill the measuring cup up to 2 cups with the boiling water. Stir to dissolve soup and then pour into a glass container.
Please don't store your toxin free baby wash in a toxic container :)
I actually use an old vinegar bottle. It works perfect.

6. Let the solution sit over night. It is going to look clear and thin right after its made. The next day it will be a whitish color and thick. Give the bottle a good shake to loosen it up, and mix it up again.

Right after mixing:
 
After it sits for a while:
 


Viola! That's it! I use about 2-3 capfuls in the bath. I am careful about getting too much in their eyes. I don't think it is "technically" tear free, but we have never had any issues.

2 comments: