Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Sourdough English Muffin Bread



So the SD English muffins are easy to make for the most part, but I just get annoyed sometimes by the amount of cleanup from the flour, rolling out the dough, cutting out the rounds, and letting them rise.  You have to cook them on the stovetop. It's not difficult, just takes a few steps...well I'm busy, but don't want to sacrifice my families health so I'm always trying to come up with ways to simplify everything.

This I the same exact recipe and method for my Sourdough English Muffins, just a bit modified/simplified.
 

Sourdough English Muffin Bread
 * Recipe modified from The Fresh Loaf

1/2 C starter (mine is a 100% hydration white starter)

1 C milk

2-3/4 C all purpose flour

1 TBSP sugar

3/4 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda


- Combine starter, 2 C of flour and milk in a large bowl. Stir to combine, cover with plastic wrap, and leave out for 8 hours or overnight.

- After the overnight rest, add the sugar, salt and baking soda and mix well. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 4-5 minutes.  Place into a well greased bread pan (I use coconut oil to grease)  Let rise anywhere from 1-3 hours.  The longer the rise, the fluffier less dense the loaf.  I like mine on the 2-3 hour side.

-Once bread has risen, Preheat oven to 375 degrees

-Bake about 20-23 min

-Let cool in pan 5-10 min then use a knife and separate from the bread pan, gently turn out onto a cooling rack and let cool. 
 


1 comment: