Thursday, February 28, 2013

Banana Almond Coconut Smoothie


My inspiration for this came from my husband. He loves this place here called The Plant. They make a smoothie like this and it is so good, but at $10 a smoothie no thanks! In my opinion, I think mine is better anyway wink wink!
I have been drinking one of these for breakfast every morning. It's fast, easy, nutritious, and filing. I like that I don't have to sit down and eat it...what busy mom has time for that anyway!!!

Banana Almond Coconut Smoothie

Serves 2

1 whole banana

1 cup coconut milk 

1 cup almond milk

1 TBS of almond butter

Add ins - *optional* 1 TBS chia seeds or 1TBS flax seeds or 1TBS hemp seeds

1 1/2-2 cups of ice

* You can also add a little honey or maple syrup if you like it a little sweeter. 
* You can also use only almond milk and it's still delicious. 

Just toss it all in the blender (love my Vitamix) and blend until smooth. If you use the coconut milk in the dairy isle it won't be as good (in my opinion). It doesn't have much coconut taste.
Canned coconut milk is a better option, but then there is BPA in the lining of the can. I have been making my own for my youngest son A who has multiple food intolerances. It's really easy and to die for good. I will post the recipe and instructions for the one I make. Coconut milk is so good for you too. In moderation obviously, it is high in calories and fat. But the fat is good for you fats and lauric acid a essential medium chain fatty acid. I think this may deserve a separate blog entry, all about coconut!
Yum, so good!! 
Enjoy!!

Homemade Coconut Milk:



Finally, here is my recipe for coconut milk. I add a couple Medjool dates for sweetness. Coconut milk is naturally low in sugar and carbs, which is great for most adults. 

2 cups of dried organic raw coconut flakes

4 cups of filtered water

*Optional* 2 Medjool dates (or any date)

2 pinches of sea salt

Combine all the ingredients in the blender. Blend on high for 3-5 min. in a regular blender, only about 1 min in a Vitamix or high powered blender. I find the longer it blends the smoother and creamier it gets. 
Strain the milk and pulp through a nut milk bag or a fine mesh strainer. I finally decided to try the nut milk bag, and let me tell you. So much easier and less messy!  

Here is a nut milk bag:
I have this one and it works great!



http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00158U8DU- nut milk bag

That's it! I store mine in an old glass milk bottle in the fridge. It separates so you want to give a good shake each time you use it. It should last 3-4 days. Enjoy! You will never drink canned or boxed coconut milk again.

No comments:

Post a Comment